Short Film Showcase #13: Best Animated Short 2021

I have now been able to see all five shorts from the Best Animated Short line-up and overall I am impressed with the nominees. Whilst I would have still chosen Kapaemahu or Out to have received nominations, I am glad to be able to share my ranking of the nominees.

1. If Anything Happens I Love You

Directors: Will McCormack, Michael Govier
Writers: Will McCormack, Michael Govier

Synopsis: Grieving parents struggle with the loss of their daughter after a school shooting. An elegy on grief.

I had no idea what I was getting myself into when I watched this short film back in November, but I remember hearing that it was powerful. However, this is such a powerful animated short and something that I think everyone should sit down and watch. The animation style brings the story to life in a way that evokes emotion unlike any live-action film could do, and every technical aspect is spot on. This should easily be the winner.

Rating: 4.5 out of 5.

2. Opera

Director: Erick Oh

Synopsis: The history, structures and rhythms of human history are seen through a glorious, massive pyramid.

The level of animation with this short film, which starts at the top of the pyramid and unravels the further down the camera pans, is insane and it is stunning to watch. It is easy to get a sense of scale with this format, which is unique but easy on the eye and amazing to watch. Even with a lack of narrative with it, I was still engaged and impressed with the final product.

Rating: 4 out of 5.

3. Genius Loci

Director: Adrien Merigeau
Writers: Adrien Merigeau, Nicolas Pleskof
Starring: Nadia Moussa, Georgia Cusack, Jina Djemba

Synopsis: One night, Reine, a young loner, sees among the urban chaos a moving oneness that seems alive, like some sort of guide.

This is going to be a short that people either fall in love with or simply don’t connect with at all. It is refreshing to see a risk being taken with the animation style, presenting a more fragmented and cubism-inspired story that is told with stunning animation. Whilst I would have preferred this experimental piece to be shorter, I actually found myself engaged with the film and I loved many of the snippets included in the film. Count me as a supporter of this one.

Rating: 3.5 out of 5.

4. Burrow

Director: Madeline Sharifian
Writer: Madeline Sharafian

Synopsis: A young rabbit embarks on a journey to dig the burrow of her dreams, despite not having a clue what she’s doing.

A little simpler in animation and story than Pixar has done previously, but still a very sweet short film. I love the hand-drawn style and the fun they had with the animals, particularly with the burrows. Overall, another solid little animation from Pixar.

Rating: 3.5 out of 5.

5. Yes-People

Director: Gísli Darri Halldórsson
Writer:

Gísli Darri Halldórsson
Starring: Helga Braga Jónsdóttir, Ilmur Kristjánsdóttir, Jón Gnarr

Synopsis: Six people. Living in one building but following different paths. Each gets through the day in their own way – and with their own voice.

The fact that Yes-People got a Best Animated Short nomination over films such as Out and Kapaemahu is disappointing, as I really struggled to see what was fascinating about this film. I didn’t care for the animation style, the story felt dry and there was no personal connection to any of the characters. I didn’t sense a real purpose for making this short and it just left me wanting so much more.

Rating: 1.5 out of 5.

The post Short Film Showcase #13: Best Animated Short 2021 appeared first on Film For Thought.

Post a Comment

0 Comments