Short Film Showcase #12

After a week’s break to get settled into a new flat and completing university work, I am glad to report that I am finally back watching some short films and ready to review. This week, I watched three shorts and I was overall impressed with what they had to offer. Here are my reviews of them.

Umbrella

Directors: Mario Pece, Helena Hilario
Writers: Mario Pece, Helena Hilario

Synopsis: While visiting a home for children, a little girl meets Joseph, a boy whose only dream is to have a yellow umbrella. This unexpected encounter awakens his memories of the past.

Whilst there is a strong emotional core to the story, it felt like something was lacking with this short film. The film leans into a stereotypical format, both in terms of the narrative and the animation style, that it loses a distinct voice within that. The two different timelines also don’t blend well and feels unnecessary. It has a lot of potential within it, but I wish I just got more.

Umbrella is available to watch on YouTube.

Rating: 2.5 out of 5.

I Think I Have a Crush on You

Director: Maria Eriksson-Hecht
Writer: Pelle Rådström
Starring: Inez Sahl Torhaug, Emil Almén, Kirsti Eline Torhaug

Synopsis: 13-year-old Nadja has met her soulmate, William, online. Even though she hasn’t met him in real life it feels like love. But when talking evolves into sharing of nude images, William doesn’t seem as cute and sensitive anymore.

Whilst I wished that the film was longer, it’s hard not to be impacted by the story that is told and the way it is presented. It is horrifying to know that this is something that happens in this day and age and the leading performance is so well done. In what is a very tough watch, it is one that I feel is also necessary.

I Think I Have a Crush on You is available to watch on YouTube.

Rating: 3.5 out of 5.

In a Heartbeat

Directors: Beth David, Esteban Bravo
Writers: Beth David, Esteban Bravo

Synopsis: A closeted boy runs the risk of being outer by his own heard after it pops out of his chest to chase down the boy of his dreams.

This is a short that I have seen before, but I just wanted a rewatch due to how charming and well made it is. A beautifully told story that is injected with personality and with some stunning animation. Not only that, but the gay relationship feels completely organic and not the main factor of the story, only elevating the narrative. If you have somehow not seen this film, now is a great time to check it out.

In a Heartbeat is available to watch on YouTube.

Rating: 4.5 out of 5.

The post Short Film Showcase #12 appeared first on Film For Thought.

Post a Comment

0 Comments