Awards Season 2021: Golden Globes Nomination Reactions

Carey Mulligan stars as “Cassandra” in director Emerald Fennell’s PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN, a Focus Features release. Credit: Courtesy of Focus Features

Well I certainly have a lot to say here. The nominations were just announced for the Golden Globes (the full list can be found here) and there are some highs, and there are some lows. Whilst I will make more of a post regarding Oscar chances after the SAG nominations are revealed tomorrow, here is just an insight as to where my head is in regards of these nominations.

Promising Young Woman

This was the big question on everyone’s mind. Was Promising Young Woman a critic pick or awards contender. I absolutely adore this film, and I am glad to see that nominations for Direction, Screenplay, Actress Drama and Picture Drama make this a big contender for the rest of awards season. Now, there is no excuse to leave it off your Best Picture list.

Da 5 Bloods Snub

In contrast, Spike Lee’s Da 5 Bloods left the nominations completely empty handed. Whilst it can be argued why for Picture Drama or Direction, to not even nominate Delroy Lindo is shocking and puts the film on rocky grounds going forward.

THAT Best Director Line-Up

For what has felt like the longest time, we have been begging the award shows to have more female representation in Best Picture. This year, there are THREE women in the Best Director line-up, and I could not be more happy for all of them. There is a very strong chance that one of them can win it as well, and I hope other shows (such as the Oscars) are watching and seeing the positive reaction from this.

The Comedy/Musical Mess

I don’t even want to look at the Comedy/Musical categories. First of all, I have made it clear on my social media that I will not be watching, reviewing or promoting Sia’s Music, and I am disappointed the HFPA recognised it as much as they did. Secondly, as much as I love Hamilton, it is not a movie and shouldn’t be up for consideration. I am also so confused as to how James Corden got a nomination for The Prom when Meryl Streep missed out.

Basically, I am only cheering on Palm Springs and Borat Subsequent Moviefilm.

The Surprises

A quick summary of other surprises that I loved. Tahar Rahim makes his debut in the award season with a nomination for The Mauritanian alongside co-star Jodie Foster. Rosamund Pike also makes it in Best Actress Musical/Comedy with her performance in I Care a Lot. A big surprise for me was seeing the HFPA give The Father a Best Screenplay nomination, making that film once again a big contender come Oscar season.

There are good things that came from this show, and there are bad things. However, we need to focus on the positives and recognise that small changes are being made in the group and to celebrate those moments. We sometimes just have to appreciate how crazy that voting body is sometimes.

The post Awards Season 2021: Golden Globes Nomination Reactions appeared first on Film For Thought.

Post a Comment

0 Comments