Sundance 2021: My Coverage and Top Ten Anticipated Films

This year, I have been fortunate enough to be given a press pass for the 2021 Sundance Film Festival. After a month of waiting for the schedule to release, trying to work it around time-zones, and co-ordinating between two other outlets for content, I have finally set a full schedule for myself.

In total, I plan to cover 41 short films and 30 feature films during this 7-day festival. Am I insane? Possibly but I am excited to experience as much as I can. Whilst I will not share my full schedule, I am going to inform you of my uploading schedule as well as my top ten most anticipated films from the festival.

Upload Schedule

Between the two other publications that I am writing for, Filmotomy and InSession Film, I am uploading 14 individual full reviews. They will be split between being reviewed during the festival, as well as some releasing the week after the festival, just so I can keep up with watching films and getting as much content as possible.

In terms of Film For Thought, I will be uploading two posts daily.
Between 10am-12pm GMT: A compilation of short (2-3 paragraph) reviews of every feature film I watched in the previous day.
Between 5pm-7pm GMT: a Short Film Showcase, highlighting a collection of shorts at Sundance.

Every review I write will also be available on Letterboxd. For films I do not fully review during the festival, I will give full reviews nearer the official UK release of the film.

Top Ten Most Anticipated

I want to spend this time giving a quick insight into what films I am excited to watch, by listing my top ten most anticipated films.

  1. Judas and the Black Messiah – does this one need an explanation?
  2. The World to Come – the cast list looks solid and I’ve heard some great things already about it.
  3. CODA – I already love the premise of this film and there needs to be more representation of the deaf in film.
  4. R#J – what can I say, I love retellings of the Romeo & Juliet story
  5. Street Gang: How We Got to Sesame Street – who wouldn’t be excited about a Sesame Street documentary?
  6. The Sparks Brothers – Edgar Wright directed this documentary, so this immediately made it onto the list.
  7. Land – this has started to garner some awards momentum with a FYC campaign forming, so I’ll be interested to see if it can break in late.
  8. In the Earth – this is the latest film by Ben Wheatley, so my curiosity is already peaking
  9. Pleasure – the premise of this one is what gripped me here, I haven’t seen many people highlight it so I’m excited to give it a shot
  10. Strawberry Mansion – this film looks to be one of the more unique in terms of premise and production design, so I can’t wait to get sucked into this world.

What do you make of my list? What film are you most excited to check out at Sundance? Let me know in the comments section and let’s have a discussion.

The post Sundance 2021: My Coverage and Top Ten Anticipated Films appeared first on Film For Thought.

Post a Comment

0 Comments