Awards Season: Pandora International Film Critics 2020 – My Reaction and Voting Ballot

Yesterday, the winners of the Pandora International Film Critics Awards were announced and it is time to look and react to them, as well as look at who I voted for on the ballot as a member of PIFCA.

My Reactions

Most of the winners were what I was expecting with this list. Whilst there has been a small backlash against Minari winning International Motion Picture, there has been clarification for the categorisation of that film and I am still glad it got the big honour.

What was the most surprising for me, and in the best way possible, was the wins that Pieces of a Woman received for both Vanessa Kirby and Ellen Burstyn. For the entire season, I have been begging people to recognise them, being left in shock when they weren’t even getting nominations. To see my branch award them the win is incredibly heart-warming and I hope this trend continues.

Another win that I adored was The Invisible Man taking home the award for Best Visual Effects. The horror genre has so much quality when it comes to the visual effects, and yet awards season never seems to mention them despite this. Perhaps in a year lacking of blockbusters, the Academy may be more willing to branch out and support the horror genre.

My Ballot

DISCLAIMER: At the time of voting, I had not seen Nomadland, The Father or Sound of Metal.

ACTING BREAKTHROUGH
Maria Bakalova – Borat Subsequent Moviefilm

SONG COMPOSING
Speak Now – One Night in Miami

SOUND DESIGN
Soul

ACTOR SUPPORT
Alan S. Kim – Minari

SET DESIGN
Mank

ENGLISH LANGUAGE MOTION PICTURE
Promising Young Woman

CAST ENSEMBLE
One Night in Miami

EDITING
The Trial of the Chicago 7

CINEMATOGRAPHY
Minari

ACTRESS SUPPORT
Ellen Burstyn – Pieces of a Woman

DOCUMENTARY MOTION PICTURE
Dick Johnson is Dead

SPECIAL EFFECTS
Tenet

FILMMAKING BREAKTHROUGH
Radha Blank – The Forty Year-Old Version

ACTOR LEAD
Mads Mikkelsen – Another Round

HAIR AND MAKEUP
Mank

COSTUME DESIGN
Emma.

ACTRESS LEAD
Vanessa Kirby – Pieces of a Woman

SCORE COMPOSING
Soul

ANIMATED MOTION PICTURE
Soul

SCREENWRITING ADAPTED
One Night in Miami

SCREENWRITING ORIGINAL
Promising Young Woman

DIRECTING
Emerald Fennell – Promising Young Woman

INTERNATIONAL MOTION PICTURE
Another Round

The post Awards Season: Pandora International Film Critics 2020 – My Reaction and Voting Ballot appeared first on Film For Thought.

Post a Comment

0 Comments